A fridge magnet is an excellent promotional tool provided it contains an important service or useful info that will motivate people to stick your magnet to their fridge. I will show you how to make a professional looking glossy laminated fridge magnet containing emergency numbers but this method can be used to make fridge magnets for art & craft purposes as well.
You will need:
- Computer with vector graphics software installed. DTP software will also work.
- Inkjet printer
- Sheet of self-adhesive paper label, I’m using a one up A4 sheet
- Magnetic sheeting cut to the size of your self-adhesive paper label (mine is 0.5mm thick and cut to A4 – see above)
- Lamination machine and glossy pouch
- Paper cutter or craft knife
1. Design your artwork in your favorite graphics software. My purple and yellow design was looking a bit bland so I decided to add a pattern background from AliceGrafixx around the edges:
The size of my design will be 20x5cm allowing me to get five fridge magnets from my A4 sheet:
2. Lay out your artwork and print it onto the sheet of adhesive label:
4. Allow the laminated self-adhesive paper to cool down, then cut off the sealed lamination pouch edges and peel off the backing of the laminated paper and stick it onto your magnetic sheet.
5. Cut down to size:
6. You now have fridge magnets:
7. Stick onto fridge:
- You get a photo magnet paper that you can print directly onto using an inkjet printer, but buying standard magnetic sheeting in sheet or roll form is much stronger and cheaper – especially if you are going to make large quantities.
- You can make a cheaper fridge magnet by printing onto cardstock and sticking pieces of magnetic sheeting on the back, but it feels cheap – the full magnetic magnet is not something someone will just throw away. I prefer the whole back to be a magnet as it just feels like a fridge magnet and not like a piece of cardstock with a magnet behind. Although this method is widely used to stick calendars to the fridge which is OK as it would be expensive to make the entire calendar a magnet.
*PurYel is a brand owned by Khoi.biz